Friday, February 13, 2004

Iiiiiiiiiiiittttttt's Frrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiidaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

February 13th, 2004
3:08 A. M.

What does it mean if the day before Valentine's Day is Friday the Thirteenth?

Probably nothing, but I just wanted to call your attention to that.

I'm just burning through the last little bit of ink left in the printer at the moment (I'm printing up a hard copy of the first month of This Space for Rent! It's 38 pages long ... surely it's long enough to burn through the last one sixth of a cartridge that is left).

By the way, I'm starting to regret my decision to hyphenate my blog's address. It's a pain in the arse trying to remember to use those dang hyphens, anyway.

Maybe I should quit goofing around here and get on with the
Friday Five. And, boy oh boy, it's going to be a fun one!

1. Are you superstitious?
No, I'm not. Knock on wood!

2. What extremes have you heard of someone going to in the name of superstition?
I think I heard of someone nailing a cockroach to a 3 by 5 index card onto their mailbox after hearing a fly fart, just to ensure that they could get rich.
No, wait ... I just made that up.

3. Believer or not, what's your favorite superstition?
My favorite superstition? If I were to be honest about that, I would either shock or offend some really old friends of mine. I may perhaps make enemies out of people I don't even know, so I'll simply leave that question alone.

4. Do you believe in luck? If yes, do you have a lucky number/article of clothing/ritual?
In a book called "Centaur Isle" by Piers Anthony, there is an ogre that responds to someone suggesting he not push his luck. Piers Anthony's take on ogres (in case you haven't read any of the Magic of Xanth series) is that ogres use rhymes in every sentence they speak.
This ogre's response to the suggestion that he "better not push his luck" was partly inaudible because he smashed through a wall as he was saying the first word of a two word rhyming response that concluded with the word "... luck"
His response to the idea of luck is the same as mine.

There is also that old song "Born Under a Bad Sign."
"If it weren't for bad luck / I'd have no luck at all."

5. Do you believe in astrology? Why or why not?
Great! Ass-trology, you say?
Um, no, I don't believe in it. Why not? Because (1) I don't think the stars even know we exist, and (2) even if the stars knew we existed, they would probably be trying to screw around with us. Stars can be such jerks.
We are talking about those giant gas balls, aren't we? Or, are we talking about those things that twinkle in the night sky?

Dislcaimer;
The author of the preceding post realizes that most prominent people are really down to Earth folks who are not too diferent from anyone we all may know. There are, however, enough notable exceptions to this rule for the author to feel comfortable enough to go for a low jab at the rich and famous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)