Thursday, December 25, 2003

Writers Don't Take a Day Off

December 25th, 2003
10:46 P. M.

I've spent the day running between Lexington and Georgetown, Kentucky, and I've realized something. A lot of other people didn't get the day off today, either. I could swear it looked as if there were a couple of shops open today (other than gas stations). Heck, I didn't know that there were enough people out there who wanted to shop on Christmas Day. I know there are people of other religions about, but still ... most of the places I saw open today employ (and are presumably run by) Christians.

I know there are many things I wanted to have bought, but didn't get around to by today. I can always go out tomorrow, or maybe even next week. Or even next year ... which is next week, isn't it?

There was an awful lot of traffic out on the interstate today. I don't remember there being so many people out ten years ago. Ah, well. Christmas is becoming more and more a retail holiday. I suppose all there is to do is simply get used to the idea.

I wonder how many people took this as a day of reflection. How many people re-discovered what was really important in their lives.

I know I did. For the first time in about eight years, I got to see a toddler experiencing her first Christmas. My two-year-old half sister was a joy to be around today. I don't remember what she got this morning (other than a set of pajamas she tried to put on by herself), but I know it didn't matter to her what was going on. She was surrounded by people who love her. That's what this holiday has been about to me since I can remember.

The event was punctuated, of course, by flash photography.


*** ** *** ** *** **


Forgive me if this post doesn't seem to be as coherent as usual. I've got the television going, and Sister Act 2 is on (well, the end credits are rolling). There is a lot of really good music in that movie.

Gosh, I love Motown. Viva los Funk Brothers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)