Tuesday, November 04, 2003

The Polls Are Closed, and the Results Are In

November 4th, 2003
11:50 P. M.


The Republican candidate won the governorship of Kentucky today. I will admit...the Democratic incumbent has had some serious explaining to do about a few too many things. An extramarital affair with the director of a retirement home (or whatever the places are called these days) comes to mind.
Ho-hum, I know...a man in a position of power having an affair? Duh.
But, the perplexing thing for me is that this Democratic governor has been, well, lax, when dealing with environmental problems stemming from the coal industry. I thought Democrats were supposed to be environmentalists...
And, equally perplexing, is the move he made on the issue of black lung disease....He decreased eliminated workers' compensation payments for people who became ill from this disease.
Of course, that benefited a big industry
...We called him a Democrat?
Hmm.

When I went in to vote, I hate to admit, I felt as if I was completely uninformed about the candidates. Who do they have business dealings with? How have they handled the offices (if any) they have held in the past? The only information I could go on are the radio and TV spots that have been running for the past several months.
Based on those ads, I wouldn't be able to make up my mind on who to vote for even if I didn't fall back on the party affiliation stuff.


Well, that's what I get for not informing myself!


Talk at work today turned, of course, to politics. I told a friend of mine that I briefly considered a write in campaign for governor, but I nixed the idea because I had not even so much as a running mate. Well, folks, now I do have a running mate, and we will be putting together a campaign staff.
And, remember! We will all be Frankfort outsiders (unless someone on my campaign happens to be from Frankfort, but they will be from outside the power structure)!
More news will follow!


And, now for those who asked me today, here's a directory of American political parties. Informative...and weird at times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)