Monday, November 03, 2003

Off to the Polls Tomorrow

November 3rd, 2003
11:38 P. M.


Yes...It is election time here in Kentucky. Wonderful.
We get our public discourse, like every other state in this union, reduced to sound bites and one-liners. I bet the founders of this country are terribly proud of us right now.
I've heard people from both parties claiming they will be able to "clean up the mess in Frankfort."
I can think of no other way to say it than this; the only way to clean up that kind of mess is to bulldoze the place and rebuild. But, aside from that, I would agree that it is time to clean up the current mess there...if only to make a brand new one in a matter of a few weeks.


One thing I've noticed...a lot of other people have, too...that people running in these political races seem to think that a clever marketing campaign is all it takes to get into office. Unfortunately, they're right.
Let's face it. If a politician actually tries to be elaborate, tries to take the time to spell out what he or she means when they say "the mess in (insert capital city here)," they get buried. Same on any issue at all.
And the thing that really bugs me about this particular race is that these folks advertising themselves as able to clean up messes aren't really saying what the messes are, or what they have in mind to do in order to clean it up!
Listen, I work 40 hours a week. I know many, many of you out there work a lot more than that. Factor in all your other obligations, and it may appear that you don't have time to listen to the details of anything at all.
But, you know what...this is the future of our state here. Next year, it's the future of our country. In the midst of all my running around, I would like to say right here and now, to whomever might be reading, that I would find the time to educate myself on whatever issue there is to learn!
Candidates, present and future, hear me now! Hearing you all accuse each other of "negative, false attack ads" is not helping me decide to vote for whom (and in many cases to vote against whom)!

And hearing all this about how political "outsiders" are most likely to win offices, I must say it is damn tempting to run for some sort of office myself.


You can't get much more "outside" than me.
I have no experience whatsoever at holding a public office.
Heck, write me in tomorrow, and I promise to hire a team of writers to come up with some fantastic one liners that people of all political stripes can enjoy!
I can't promise you the best sound bites you've ever heard, but I promise you that when I get my writers together (many...nay!...all of whom will come from outside the profession of writing), that we shall give it all we have!

I must disqualify myself right now, though. I do not even have a campaign team together. Therefore, I would be also hard pressed to through together a transition team before I took office early next year. But, I will go ahead and through my hat in the ring for the next cycle! Remember me then!

Anyone interested in joining my campaign, please feel free to contact me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)