Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Writers' Groups are Cool ... When the Other Writers Show Up

Don't let the title fool you ... The writers' group I met with last night was cool enough. It was just me and the proprietor of Reincarnated Books close to my neighborhood. I met up (in person!) with another ... Let's say "outsider" ... Like myself.

I've had a bit of an Omega Man syndrome going. I have lived under the assumption that I was one of only a very few around who still mourned the passing of Mystery Science Theater 3000. I found out last night that not only am I not the only one who would mourn that passing, but the spirit is alive and well. The lady who owns the bookstore says that she and her friends have a competition going to see who can bring about the crummiest movies for the others to watch. They sit around and make comments while those movies are playing. In case you're wondering, yes, I would very much like to end up watching such movies with these people!

In fact, last night while combing the shelves of Wal-Mart and Mejier's for Todd Rundgren's The Individualist (or the Scooby Doo 1 DVD ... in an outtake Velma sings "Can't Take My Eyes off of You!" Rrrraaaooooaaaarrr!), I found three very bad 50s sci-fi movies on DVD for a dollar each ("Attack of the Giant Leeches," "The Manster," and "The Beast of Yucca Flats." The last one is a Tor Johnson movie. It has nothing to do with Scrappy Doo.) I'm going (possibly to force myself) to watch these movies. It'll probably be more fun with other people around cracking on them, but I'll use my imagination to come up with a few one liners myself.

I am going to be making time for this writing group. It meets every other Monday (and there are usually no less than four other writers there), so I'll be taking two Mondays off a month. (Or, I might find another job that allows me to have off in the afternoons. I think I like that option just as much.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)