Friday, October 22, 2004

Tha Road Blogg!

For the next two weekends coming up, I have road trips. Coming up this week is another trip down to Alabama. For those of you reading from the South, I apologize for what I say next.

I've never been too nuts about The South (and that whole Confederate Flag thing is a complete turn-off for me.) You know your history. You know what kind of stuff was happening down there even as recently as the last half of the previous century. But, you know what? There are an awful lot of very nice people down there. Equally beautiful is the scenery. There is still pain (and why shouldn't there be?) Heaven knows a lot of troublesome things have happened there. However, trouble follows wherever humanity goes. Then again, so do hope and healing. Pandora's box is opened everytime we enter a new stage in our history, and as the contents scatter, the final occupant remains.

So, the south is a place of healing. I can feel it in the air down in Muscle Shoals. (Disregard what Skynyrd said about Neil Young. That was a miscommunication. Neither Skynyrd nor Young should have anything nasty to say about each other. I took it that Skynyrd meant to say "the past is gone, and we don't hang folks because of the color of their skin anymore." And, Neil meant to say, "Don't forget the terrible things your forebearers did." Neither had a bad message, I think.)

So, with all this talk of healing, hope, and music, I'll make a jarring transition into the following weekend's road trip.

I'll be going to Louisville, Kentucky to watch a live wrestling match. Yeah, the real WWE thing. (It used to be WWF, but there was some confusion about an wildlife foundation ... I wish I'd have been paying attention to the news a few years ago. I would have found it incredibly funny that the World Wrestling Federation was being sued by the World Wildlife Fund. I still think it's funny, but I wish I could have watched that play out in real time!)

I have never been to a wrestling match before, and I don't know what to expect. It's going to be on Halloween, so I'm thinking there might be quite a few people in costume for it ... I plan to dress as Shaggy from Scooby Doo, and I'm already working on the goatee, and I'll be hitting the Goodwill stores in search of a green shirt and brown bell bottoms ...

My friends are expecting the Undertaker to be there .......

I've never really gotten into the storylines of modern wrestling. Though I am looking forward to seeing people pretend to hate each other, then really pound the hell out of each other, and then go somewhere and have a beer or two together to celebrate a good show (like the friends they are in real life.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)