Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Wednesday's Almost Over. Shh! I Can Hear the Weekend!

October 22nd, 2003
11:50 P.M.


I'm sitting here typing this out while having a (nearly) midnight snack of the bangers I bought at the little import shop this morning. Gosh, I love these things. They're so much more palatable than the sausage links with which I grew up (and I liked American style sausage links anyway!)
I went to talk to a recruiter at a business college today. I've been wanting to go back to school for the longest time...I've spent a lot of that time trying to think of what I would like to do for the rest of my life;


Top priority: Marriage and children.
Since I have no fiancee, no girlfriend, or even prospects I'm holding my breath for right now anyway, I'll move on to;


Second priority: Finding a career I'll enjoy for the rest of my life.


It's pretty much come down to radio and TV broadcasting. You folks have already read how much I enjoyed all those plays I acted in while I was in High School...so I was looking into careers that could bring me as close to that experience as possible.
There was mention of some radio announcing classes in the sessions I would be attending...and I think I would take to announcing very well. Heck, I even did a radio announcer part in the play "Someone Waiting." I had fun doing that.
I haven't mentioned this before, but I was even a (substitute) DJ at a radio station run by the college I was attending in 1997. I have 12 hours of training on their antiques, and 24 hours of on air and unsupervised experience behind me! (I forgot to say...all DJs working at this station were volunteers. I loved it so much that I did it without even the thought of a payday. Imagine if I were to do that for a living.)
One thing I do understand: Starting pay in this field is actually less than what I'm making now. However, one can more than pick up that slack by doing voice overs...if you're good enough to stay in demand.

While discussing the possibility of going to this business school, someone who actually went there overheard me. She said that not only was it very expensive, that she had trouble transferring credits from her former school to this one...and she has already looked into transferring credits from this business school to another college...and those credits will not transfer out. Ah...something more for me to consider.
I may just go back to the community college here in town. The classes may be bigger, but I should be able to make up for that by "giving it my all." I know that whatever credits I have from the last time I attended college will transfer there...that community college is a part of the university system I was in ten years ago anyway.

Oh, and there was an interesting twist from today's tour of the business school. The admissions man who was showing me around...this is great!...is a director for a theater group here in town. We talked a little on that subject, and I will be going to an audition for him next month.
Again...this audition will be one of those "I'm doing this just for the hell of it" things. I encounter my best luck doing that!


I bet you thought I was going to forget the

Humpday Quote of the
Week!

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
Mark Twain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)