Monday, September 08, 2003

The Dining Room by A. R. Gurney(1990-91 Spring)

September 8th, 2003


I’ve been trying for the life of me to remember all the events that lead me to the auditorium that day, but all in vain. I can’t even remember what day it was that I even saw the poster for the first time, or where in the school that poster was hanging. I know they were located all over the place, but I believe the one that caught my attention was on the front do to Akers Auditorium.
I can’t even remember the exact wording on that poster. Heck, for all I know, I heard about the try-outs over the intercom during morning announcements. That may be when the impulse struck for me to audition for this thing. I called my mom at work and told her I would be staying after school. I told her why, and she was ok with it (after reminding me that my study habits weren’t all that good, and my grades could suffer if I took on too many distractions.)

The play was called “The Dining Room.” The casting requirements were originally for 3 male and 3 female, but the director went easy on us; this play had each actor portraying at least 4, maybe 5 characters. (At least, that’s how I remember it.) As it turned out, we all had more than 3 characters to bring to life. A challenge even for seasoned veterans, and here we were, mere High School kids doing it for fun, popularity, and/or kicks. Or, in my case, strictly on impulse.

That’s not entirely accurate to say. Like I said on Friday’s post, I had been on stage many times before. But, the last actual play I had been in was in 1984 at Ashland Elementary School. I thought, “What the hell? I’ll try out for this thing and see what happens.” I remembered the fun I had way back then, and I thought I might have fun, if I got a role, to relive the joy of drama!

So, I tried out. I don’t remember who with…but I do remember getting second thoughts when I discovered that I would be required to do some real fast costume changes.

“Portraying multiple characters? Hurriedly changing clothes backstage immediately after my scene to be in a scene only minutes later? What am I getting myself into?” I thought. But, I managed to quell those misgivings. I told myself it was just a challenge, and rising to that challenge would prove exhilarating. It did.

As you might have guessed, I got the role(s). From here, it’s all a blur. I remember the names of all the people who were in this show with me…but I won’t put their names here. Unless they contact me and say I can.

Anyway…this post is more of a jumping off point for memories to come back…for parents or family members, friends who watched this production (or folks who merely wanted to get out of class for a while.)

So, before I sign off, I will plead with anyone who has wondered on here who might have more memories of this, or any of the other plays I will be posting about, to contact me and I will (with your permission) include those memories in future posts!


Tomorrow;

Episode II
The Curious Savage by John Patrick(1990-91 Fall)



If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)