Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Something's Rotten in Texas (Big Surprise)

I saw a little crawl on (of all places) Fox News tonight about how the Texas Republican party has been urged by the Jewish Anti-Defamation League to stop calling the United States a "Christian Nation" in the party platform. Here's a quick story from Reuters about it.

Here's also a link to the U. S. Constitution on the subject; Article (Amendment) I

I understand that most (hey, if not all) of this country's founders had a "deep faith in God." I also understand that those same founders came from several different sects, and some of these sects persecuted one another.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I trace some of my ancestry to Ireland. It's almost obligatory to be proud of that ancestry (and I am proud of it), but I shudder to think about what life would have been like had my family not come here. (Actually, I have a strong suspicion they were deported, but that is a different story.)

...Let's just say I feel privileged to have grown up in a country in which the government allows freedom of religion...

(By the way ... I've prayed many times in public schools, and I've never been harassed for it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)