Thursday, February 26, 2004

A Disturbingly Productive Thursday

February 26th, 2004
3:11 P. M.

Again today, I went down to the University of Kentucky to partake of their College of Arts and Sciences' open house week. I finally got in to talk to and academic advisor, and I told her of my situation. I stated in my bio that I have attention deficit disorder. (Of all the people who have chimed in on this disorder, I like George Carlin's comment the best -- which I will paraphrase; Now, there's a disorder that makes sense! There's very little worth paying attention to!)

Well, I managed to get important dates from the advisor, and more importantly, I got the names and numbers of a few people who will be able to help me through my education. Oddly enough, one of the people (a career counselor) is the mother of an old friend of mine from when I first tried to go to college.

That friend is, herself, working at the University now! She was an incredibly cool person, which isn't to say she will not be anymore, who was into Mystery Science Theatre 3000. That's how I came to know her. There was a MST3K community on campus back in the early 'Nineties. I wonder if they're all still circulating the tapes? I could find out in the next few months!

Before anyone starts asking ... no, I don't know what my major's going to be. I'm going there to see what I'll be interested in doing for the rest of my life. More than likely it will involve writing. I know not whether it will be of the creative sort (which I still haven't gotten around to posting any creative stuff here), or if it will be journalism.
I shiver when I think about becoming a journalist, though. Just watch All the President's Men to get an idea of why I don't like that particular prospect. Journalists are no more popular now than they were when this story was taking place. In fact, I think I've noticed them being far less popular now than they ever have been. I was thinking about writing more of what I've noticed about journalism these days, but I think I'll skirt around the issue (or, polly-fox a no spin zone).

Jeez. The last thing I want to do is go head to head with "The Establishment." No one agrees on what "The Establishment" is anyway. I think it's more appropriate to call it "The Distraction" or "The Misdirection" anymore. In the Sixties "The Establishment" was a right-wing entity. Now, it's a left wing entity (according to the vulpes, that is). So, if no one agrees on that, then I'm not going to write about it.

Therefore, I rule out journalism. I can't see me selling myself out like that. But, how about some sort of science then ... Physics perhaps? I've already tried that. Phried my brain on Physics.
I liked acting quite a bit when I was in High School. I was supposedly good at it, too. Maybe I should look into having that as a career goal. People do have a tendency to look down on actors, too. But, I don't think it's possible to sell myself out as an actor, is it? ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)