Thursday, January 22, 2004

An Update

January 21st, 2004
11:48 P. M.

I am better rested tonight, and in much better spirits (hence the do-it-myself dateline has returned), but I haven't logged in to give the Thursday post early to talk about myself.

As the highlighted "d" in the title suggests, I have news about D. I got a call from her today at about noon. I haven't heard a peep out of her since some time last week, and she has neither updated her blog, nor has she posted anything to this one.

But, I did remember that she was supposed to have an egg removal procedure done this week ... and the potential for complications was high. Well, the doctor warned her that the treatments she was being given to boost egg production could cause her to go into hyperstimulation.

Which is precisely what happened. Instead of, maybe, a half a dozen or so eggs being harvested, they wound up removing 36 from her yesterday (perhaps the day before). D told me that it was pretty close to a record number being removed from a woman undergoing fertility treatments. (She didn't say what the actual record was.)

Now, with all those follicles stimulated, she ended up having fluid build up in her abdomen. When I went to see her in the hospital this afternoon, she was in a lot of pain. She's had trouble sleeping through the night, and is expecting to have the same trouble again tonight. (I was supposed to go out and visit her again tonight, but she's still feeling rough and told me that she didn't feel up to having company.)

I know doctors are supposed to do things like this, but it makes me wonder about the way people relate to each other sometimes ...

D told me today that a doctor came by and asked about how much pain she was in while pushing in on her abdomen (and keep in mind that feeling you get, ladies, just as you're ovulating ... and remember that it's 36 follicles that have ruptured instead of one or two, and a tremendous fluid buildup to boot. And, gentlemen, if you're feeling adventurous ... ask the special lady in your life what it feels like to have an egg burst forth from her ovary).

Doctor: Does it hurt when I push here?

D (In obvious pain): Uh huh

Doctor (Moving hands to a different spot on her abdomen): How about here?

D (Nearly yelping): YES!

Doctor (Flipping through chart): Did it hurt more when I pushed in or when I let out?

D (Mustering what's left of her lung power): It HURT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)