Tuesday, February 08, 2005

I Heard the News Last Night, Aw, Shut Up!

With each day that passes, I learn more and more why I don't watch any of the news channels anymore. It's not that I don't want to know what's going on in the world. I really do want to know. However, with all the coverage of sports and celebrity gossip, who the hell has the time to sift through for the genuinely important stuff? Even on the unimportant stuff, newspeople seem to be missing the point.

Here's a great example: The story (I didn't want to have) seen was about Paul McCartney playing the half-time show at the Superbowl this past Sunday. There was a guy (whose name I didn't bother memorizing, and whose face I'm erasing from my memory) talking about how far backward we had slid as a society that we had to shelve cutting edge performers like Janet Jackson to get some has been like Paul McCartney to play a big event like a National Football League game. He and his interviewer were going on and on about how Janet was outside the mainstream of our culture, and Paul wasn't. I think both artists should be offended by that. One of the things the Beatles never were is mainstream. Those guys came along and wiped the landscape clean for a 'new wave' of artists. And, I do mean artists. I.E., musicians. Don't call the only two Jacksons making headlines 'musicians' in my presence. (And,please don't call them 'talented.' Sure, they're great at dancing and dressing provocatively ... But, isn't that sort of thing best suited for Las Vegas?) I won't say anything to you, but you'll know what's going on if you see me reach for a bottle of Excedrine.

As far as I'm concerned, Paul rocked his 62 year old ass off. I'm exactly half his age, and I wouldn't be able to do a show like that! If anyone thinks the 'old man' is shy of controversy, just keep in mind with whom he's worked. If you factor in the interview he gave in the hours leading up to the Superbowl, you'll understand that he still isn't shy of controversy.

He promised something;
Paul: I guarantee that there will be no 'wardrobe malfunctions' in my show.
Interviewer: Really? How is that?
Paul: I'm going to do the show naked.

If that doesn't demonstrate that he still has a 'bad attitude' towards stodgy people in authority, I don't know what will...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)