Saturday, January 08, 2005

Cafè Hopping

I spent the better part of this afternoon trying to get Outlook Express to work with my Insight BB e-mail address. I might stick with Yahoo. I'm already familiar with the interface, and I'm waaaay behind the curve on the updated OE 6.0! I might like it better, but I don't know. Yahoo's pretty easy to manage (unless I get more mail filters through Insight, I won't bother changing.)

On the subject of e-mail ...

Last night, someone from the Good Foods Market contacted me to say that they were going to have a weekend either this month or next where 15 percent of their food services profit from that weekend goes to the tsunami relief effort. They will be working with the Red Cross and the Mayor's Office. I'll be happy to pass along the details of that weekend whenever I get them. I'll propose a local bloggers' meeting there for that weekend, if there are any local bloggers reading my mishmash.

As for my own personal efforts, I've resolved to have yard sales this winter. I'll see if there's a neighborhood association for my street, I'll check to see if it's alright with them to have it. (It's sad that I've lived there off and on for four years and I still don't know if one exists.) My street's one of those wired ones that, if you're not really expecting it to be otherwise, you'd think it was a court. It has a bulb, and I live in the curve of it ... But, where my house is on the left-hand side of the bulb, there's another bulb directly across and about 90 meters away. (Why meters, you ask? Because there aren't 90 yards on this little street of mine, and I'm too mentally lazy to multiply 90 by 3 to get the number of feet, therefore avoiding confusion and staying in non-metric measure!)

I do have other people to reach out to in this effort ... When I meet with them, I'll post more details. I may even set up another blog for this purpose.

So, to get a feel of how much money I'll need to participate in this aspect, I went to the Good Foods Market tonight to just hang out and read. The first person I saw there was the lady that runs the Irish Import shop I've linked on the sidebar! (She'd burned her fingers on something today and was in the pharmacy aisles looking for a pain relieving salve as I was making my way to the cafè. Poor lady; her second job is bartending, and it was the middle two fingers on her right hand that were bandaged. Imagine having to twist open beer bottles 'til the small hours of the morning with burns on your dominant hand! I'll have to ask her how she made it through the night the next time I see her.)

After reading a chapter in a book I brought with me (Celtic Wonder Tales by Ella Young [1910]), I left the Good Foods Market for Dink's. Let's just say that I'm going to be budgeting to be able to afford the cafès! I think they're both very much worth it, though. There are neat people in both places, and to me that's the ultimate draw. If you can go somewhere and feel welcomed, as if you're among friends you've never met before, it's a worthwhile place. Of course, you all know that already!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)