Monday, January 03, 2005

Once Again at Dink's

I have returned once more to that not-so-little cafe around the corner from my house. It's oddly quiet here. There are, once again, a lot of people in the darkened side room playing games. But, even the whirr of the cappuccino machine seems subdued. There is an oldies station playing softly on the intercom.

The Beatles are on; it's "Day Tripper." When I came in, it was Hall and Oates' "She's Gone." Then followed "Midnight Train to Georgia." I'm blown away. None of the young gamers seem to care. Take note media moguls, because these kids will listen to any kind of music. Their tastes aren't so narrow as your current programming standards would seem to indicate! (Besides ... I like some of the stuff targeted at them! But give me oldies, lots of them, and make it heavy on the Motown. Through in some Young Holt Trio and Isaac Hayes, too. Soul! That's what I'm talkin' about!

It seems odd to open up with random, nothing type thoughts. I figure that I've not been writing much in this or any of my other blogs lately, and I just want everyone to know I'm ok. I've just been busying myself with anything I've felt like doing these past few weeks. For example, I like hanging out with the people at the Irish Import shop (and I think I'm going to finally link to their site ... I can't believe I've overlooked that for so long.) They're wonderful people, and one day I plan on getting more involved with the Central Kentucky Celtic Association. I have a vacation day today, and it would normally be meeting. A lot of people are still out of town, though, and it's been moved to next week. I have next Monday off, too. I covered my bases. (In case anyone's wondering, no I didn't get that first shift job I thought was a slam-dunk. But, that's alright. I'd be loosing sixty-five cents an hour to go to that shift anyway. I've already told my boss that I'm going to get more involved with my life outside of work. I'll be taking at least one vacation day a month to be in that group!)

Right now, I think I'm going to do some window shopping. I'm chuckling to myself ... It's going to be Microsoft Windows shopping.

I'm wondering now why no one's beaten me to that combination of words. Or, have they? I don't know how to look something like that up. In case you haven't heard it before, well ... I claim it! (I wish I had written about the "Governator" the first time I thought it. I would've beaten everyone else to it by about three weeks.)

Back to the (Microsoft) window shopping. I'm looking for a fairly good, cheap laptop with a wireless card built in. I don't want any more bells or whistles than that. I don't need a whole lot of peripheral hardware or software involved; just a web browser, a word processor, and maybe a rudimentary soundcard. If, however, I do get tempted into the world of LAN gaming, I might want to upgrade. Heck. I'll just bite a bullet and shuffle my finances around to find eleven hundred bucks to spend on it. It will come in quite handy when I return to school next semester. (Yes, I missed that deadline too. I'm tired of that happening, but I've learned to roll with that sort of punch. Try again next year. No regrets really. My dad was 32 when he started back to school, and he hadn't had any college experience at all.)

Well, it's time for me to go. Everyone, have a good day, and pick up a good book! (Drop me a line about what you're reading. I'm looking to do some of that, too! I'll take all recommendations!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)