Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Ah, Don't You Love Corporate Radio?

March 31st, 2004
1:27 P. M.

For the past week, there has been some really strange music playing on a station in my town. It has been the same two pieces of music over and over for that duration. It sounds like something from "The In Sound from Way Out," ... If anyone out there remembers that album. The station playing this stuff was switching formats from classic country (the only thing I will ever call country, in fact -- I call the new "country" music pop) to something new.

Well, I was listening for the new format to come up ... It showed some promise. At first I thought the words "something different is coming to Lexington radio" meant something. As I listened, they opened up their first broadcast with a couple of seconds of Frank Sinatra ... Then Tom Jones ... Then;

"You don't have to sit through something your parents like to hear something you like."

Then they rattled off the same half-dozen names of people whose stuff is being played ad nauseam on at least two other stations in town. You want an idea of who it is? Turn on MTV right now.

I'm so tired of my radio.

*** ** *** ** *** **

Well, it looks like I'm going to follow my shortest post ever with the longest;

Humpday Quote of the

Week!

Radio is a sound salvation
Radio is cleaning up the nation
They say you better listen to the voice of reason
But they don't give you any choice
'cause they think that it's treason.
So you had better do as you are told.
You better listen to the radio.

I wanna bite the hand that feeds me.
I wanna bite that hand so badly.
I want to make them wish they'd never seen me.


---Elvis Costello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)