Friday, September 12, 2003

I Bet You Thought I Forgot the Friday Five!

September 12th, 2003
11:46 P. M.


1. Is the name you have now the same name that's on your birth certificate? If not, what's changed?

It's the same name I've had all my life. Except for that brief period that I had a manager insist upon calling me "Gary." I had my name tag on, but he didn't seem to notice it...and I was the only one he was calling "Gary" anyway, so I didn't see that it made any difference to correct him.

2. If you could change your name (first, middle and/or last), what would it be?

I don't know. I'm comfortable with my name. And, my combination of names isn't very common around here. I mean, it's not like looking for a "John Smith" in the phone book...
...Unless you happen to be in Cincinnati...

3. Why were you named what you were? (Is there a story behind it? Who specifically was responsible for naming you?)

I was named after my father, but neither of my parents wanted me to be a "Junior," so they choose a middle name that was only four letters different from Dad's.
And, my father was named after a friend of my grandfather's ... a man who died when a drunk driver ran him off the road. This man's first and last names became my father's first and middle names. So, you could say that I am indirectly named after this fellow, too.

4. Are there any names you really hate or love? What are they and why?

To me, names are names, really. I answered to a name that wasn't my own because no one else answered to it or was addressed by it.
I can say that I really don't hate any particular name...I just have problems with a few of them. Like, parents who try to give their children unusual names, and it turns out that when these kids get to kindergarten, there are three or four children per class who have these "unusual" names.
But, really, the whole idea that people must ABSOLUTELY name their children before the poor children are even born bothers me. It used to be that children had to be a certain age before they earned their names. Think about it this way....That's the way a lot of Native American cultures did it...and a few European ones did, once upon a time. For further thought, consider this; my own name, translated from Hebrew (first and last names) and Nederlands (last name) into English is "Beloved Light of the Hill People!!!" Talk about pressure! How the heck am I going to live up to that?

5. Is the analysis of your name at kabalarians.com accurate? How or how isn't it?

Goody...some numerology...nice.

Brief Analysis


Your first name of David has given you a very practical, hard-working, systematic nature. Your interests are focused on technical, mechanical, and scientific things, to the exclusion of interests of an artistic, musical, or social nature. You have a rather skeptical outlook on life and rather materialistic standards. In reaching your goals, you are very independent and resourceful, patient and determined. You can be so very positive and definite in your own ideas and opinions that others sense a lack of tact and friendliness in your manner of expression. You are inclined to be rather demanding and self-centred in your personal wants, and your own desires can be so overriding that you fail to recognize or appreciate the feelings, opinions, or desires of others. As a consequence, difficulties in relations within the family or with close associates can arise.

Practical, hardworking, systematic nature, huh? Right. Note the laughter of the people who know me. Second sentence isn't quite backwards....I hold things of scientific/engineering nature to be every bit as important as things of an artistic/social nature. While I do try to maintain some healthy skepticism, even some sarcasm (note my reaction to the name analysis), I do not necessarily have a materialistic bent.
But, by "materialistic," do they mean someone who values money/possessions, or someone who believes that the "whole equals the sum of all the parts" as opposed to "the whole is greater than the sum of all the parts?" (Darn epistemology class! I went into that thing thinking I knew something, after a semester I came out knowing absolutely nothing! I still don't know anything!!!)
In reaching my goals...Ha...'nuff said.
You can be so very positive and definite in your own ideas and opinions that others sense a lack of tact and friendliness in your manner of expression. Nailed it! Most of the time, that is...there are times when I am veeeerrrry indecisive. (On second thought, no...well, yes...I don't know.)

You are inclined to be rather demanding and self-centred in your personal wants, and your own desires can be so overriding that you fail to recognize or appreciate the feelings, opinions, or desires of others. As a consequence, difficulties in relations within the family or with close associates can arise.
Really, who hasn't been guilty of this from time to time? For the most part, however, I will put everyone else's needs and feelings before my own. But, that can lead me to getting hurt, and I do actually lash out sometimes. That can cause difficulties in relations...especially if I've displaced some of my frustrations (which I probably have done sometimes) from one situation to another.

I think this analysis isn't too terribly accurate for me, but with all the other Davids running around out there, it has to be dead on for someone.

I mean, even a stopped clock is right twice a day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)