Saturday, September 25, 2004

Hey! This Doesn't Happen Very Often!

I have an actual family renunion tomorrow! A family frickin' reunuion!!! I'm excited, can you tell? I mean, I've misspelled "rennuion" three times!!!

Neither side of my family has reunions very often. For some strange reason, we've all elected to treat family members and members of the general public the same.

On my dad's side, I suppose this might have to do with the fact that we're blood relations to the O'banion "Family" of Chicago, Illinois. (The picture you see is of the man whose sister gave eventual rise to me. I know from what my grandfather told me that a John Hiles married a Mary O'Banion. I don't think Mary brought any of her brother's psychosis to the table. I hope.)

On my mom's side, the lack of reunions might have to do with religious differences. They're mostly Pentacostals, though. Some are liberals (like my grandmother) and some aren't (like some of Granny's sisters and brothers). They can't see how my grandmother can be so religious and still support Democrats. (She supported Clinton, too! The horror!)

The two sides come together pretty well in me. Both Mom's side and Dad's side encouraged me to think for myself. So, if nothing else, I can say I learned from both sides of my family to not blindly follow anyone.

Here's a link to show just how far that goes with me!
Fact Check.Org! These folks will show distortions from both sides!

(I would add also that my family taught me to stay the hell out of trouble on the streets!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)