Sunday, July 11, 2004

P.S.: You'll Never Guess What I Just Came Back from Doing!

I've just come back home from a recording session. We did a cover of the song "A Change is Gonna Come" done by a lot of people (but, primarily by Sam Cooke.)

The last time I played in front of a crowd was at a very small bookstore about seven years ago (I was in a very short-lived band called "The Three Former Kings of America." We were a quartet.) I recorded one track with that group. Since I had absolutely no confidence in my abilities to play, I backed out of the band (so they could actually become a trio!)

Tonight, I recorded a keyboard and backing vocal track for only the second time in my life. And, I was surrounded by three other guys (one of which is my dad) who've been playing for about forty-two years.

I started in the Kindergarten chorus in '79. I played Viola (if you could call what I did "playing") for only a couple of years. But, all that time, I had remained active in the chorus. So, I think I went from '79 to '91 with my vocal training. (It is a sad thing, however, how quickly talents/skills can tarnish. It was like riding a bike tonight, though. It all came back to me.)

As far as the keyboard goes ... It's a fairly new addition to my repertoire. I had an old Hammond organ and a Wurlitzer electric piano when I was in High School, but I didn't play either one often enough to feel comfortable doing what I did tonight.

But, the guys really helped out. They were making goofs of their own, and no worse than mine. It was comforting to know that even after forty years of playing, even they had false starts and misplaced notes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you're viewing this page in Firefox, you aren't seeing this scroll right now. (No big loss, really...just wanted to let you know I love Firefox!)